Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Bead-head Cooper Bug

Bead-head Cooper Bug
The Cooper Bug is a pattern that I have never really been able to warm -up to.  It is a very effective pattern on my home waters that used by a lot of the "old timers".  I need to be careful throwing the "old timer" phrase around because I am rapidly approaching that status myself.  My biggest problem with this fly is figuring out exactly what it is supposed to represent.  Funny thing is I have no problem tossing a pink Czech nymph around on the end of my line, go figure.
This winter I was teaching a fly tying class and one of the patterns in the curriculum was the Cooper Bug.  One of my students asked if you could tie the pattern with a bead-head, I replied "sure why not" and that's what we did.  That's the reason this particular pattern ended up in my box.
I tied it on the end of my leader on a whim and it produced like crazy.  Once again I have no idea why the fish were taking this pattern.  The only insect activity on the water were a few Hendrickson's , but the fly does not strike me as an imitation of that nymph.  After using it that first day, I went home and tied up a dozen.  The fish have chewed up those flies and its time to tie some more.

Recipe:
Hook:  Diachi 730 size 14
Bead: Gold or copper tungsten
Ribbing :  Red wire
Body:  Peacock herl
Tail and shell back:  Deer hair

1 comment:

  1. I am really impressed by the work you did in this article. It’s great enough to pull my attention and in reading this article for once to understand that your pen is really mightier than the sword.

    fly tying feathers

    ReplyDelete