Sunday, March 28, 2010

Inspired by Roughfisher - The Possie Bugger


The official start of trout season is less than two weeks away but I spent the weekend tying flies to fill one of my warm water boxes for one of my favorite species to target with a fly rod...Carp.
I first learned of the Possie Bugger through Roughfisher's Blog. I really liked the way the pattern looked so I turned out a few in different sizes and shades. The pattern looks like it should produce well. I took a few tied on a size 12 hook out to a local pond this afternoon and they tore up the bluegill population.
The Possie Bugger (my version)
Hook: 2x long nymph hook
Weight: Flat lead tape
Tail: Australian Possum hair
Ribbing: Copper wire
Body: Mixture of rabbit and possum with a little flash added in tones of tan to grey
Hackle: Partridge
Head: Synthetic peacock dubbing

No comments:

Post a Comment