Thursday, December 31, 2009

Sometimes Simple is Best...

Walt's Worm
This fly was originally designed by Pennsylvania resident Walt Young.  If I am not mistaken it was orginally tied to imitate cranefly larva.  I have had a lot of success with this fly before caddis hatches so the fish may take it as caddis larva/pupa.  I also think it would be a good scud imitation in smaller sizes.  What ever the fish take it for is immaterial because they take it often enough that it is a go to fly for me.
Recipe:
Hook -  2x long nymph hook (10-16)
Underbody - .015 lead wire
Body - Hare’s Ear dubbing (I use Hareline Plus #1)
Thread - Tan 6/0
The Procedure:







The Results:
















This fish was caught on a Walt's Worm that was tied by my son, who was five at the time.



1 comment:

  1. Gotta love the walt's worm! I've caught more fish on that than anything else.

    ReplyDelete