Saturday, September 25, 2010

Eastern Rises


When I was at the IFTD a few weeks ago I was treated to a viewing of this movie during the Drake fly fishing film awards. Eastern Rises by Felt Soul Media is soon to be a classic fly fishing film.  I was blown away by the visual aspects of the film.  I mention only visual aspects because I had a hard time hearing in the crowded bar where it was shown.  As soon as I arrived home I tracked down a copy for myself.  The review below sums up the movie better that I can.  This one is a must for any fishing DVD collection.


"The Kamchatka peninsula in the Russian Far East may as well be at the end of the earth. Its enormous, wild landscape is threaded with rivers, swimming with massive mouse-eating trout and swarming with bugs and bears. In other words, this place is the Holy Grail for truly obsessed, halfway insane fly fishermen. In this gorgeous film, fishing is poetry; Bigfoot lurks in the fog; and fishermen risk life and limb in decommissioned Cold War helicopters to explore rivers that have never been fished before.


Felt Soul partnered with The Fly Shop to document this epic fly fishing journey to remote Russia. Ben Knight and Travis Rummel continue to set the bar for filmmakers working in this genre. Ryan Peterson and Frank Smethurst get a thumbs up from El Pescador for their roles in the film. The rainbow trout, super kundzha char, and bears (real and pretend) get a thumbs up too."



Eastern Rises - Mountainfilm World Premiere from Mountainfilm in Telluride on Vimeo.



No comments:

Post a Comment