Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Trout Stream GPS for iPhone

If your an iPhone user this may interest you.  There is a "free" app called Trout Stream GPS available for the iPhone that allows you do download maps of popular trout streams.  These maps work in conjunction with the unit's GPS function and allows you to mark waypoints on the water as well as identify preloaded way points such as particular pools and runs as well as established parking areas and access points.  I mention the word "free" because although the app itself is free each map will run you $4.99

I am planning a trip to Connecticut's Farmington River this fall so I downloaded a map of this river.  I'm pretty impressed, not only will it give you info on the water way itself but it will identifies area campgrounds and lodging, boat launches, bridge crossings, nearby cities and towns, as well as streams, rivers, lakes and ponds in the area.  It also identifies areas that have special regulations which I find very helpful when I am visiting new water.  Select any of these waypoints or one that you created and the software will provide turn by turn driving directions to the location.

No comments:

Post a Comment